Sunday, May 24, 2009

Eagle Scout


On Saturday I had the privilege of being the guest speaker at an Eagle Scout recognition ceremony. One of my former students at Carmel Christian School, Brady Stephenson, received this special award. He is a great young man who is very deserving of the award. As I said in my speech, Brady manages to "be on the swim team, plays classical piano, participates in church activities, participates in mission opportunities, sings in the school choir, attends all Boy Scout outings, and still has time to get all A's and one B". You know how I like to know the history behind things so I started investigating the history of the Eagle Scout award. Alfred Rose received the first Eagle Scout award in 1912. The first President of the United States to be a Boy Scout was John F. Kennedy. But, the only U.S. President ever to achieve the Eagle Scout was Gerald Ford. At the ceremony I was reminded that for every 100 Boy Scouts only 2 will actually make to the end to become an Eagle Scout. How many of us actually complete anything? I know I start so many projects only to let them fall to the way. I hope to start and finish cleaning the garage tomorrow. Drop out rates for our schools continue to grow. Only 35% of those who start college actually finish. Completion of the Eagle Scout is an amazing accomplishment. Brady has again inspired me to be a part of something that is excellent. More importantly he has shown me the value of the successful completion of a valiant task. May we all strive for such a goal. Good job my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment